Thursday, February 26, 2015

It's been too long

A month rushed by, during which I only got to check my email about three times. I have found out that in this very busy, very intense season of our lives (a new baby, Purim and then Pesach just around the corner, and various projects in which I function as my husband's helpmate) it really does help if I put as much as possible aside, on the back burner so to speak, and focus on the things that are essential for a smoothly running home.

I am grateful for our less-than-reliable internet connection, which prevents me from squandering the precious few spare minutes I have here and there on frivolous pursuits (such as watching 5 Best Pranks Ever on YouTube). It's amazing how much more productively time is spent without the lure of the limitless web. 

Things have been pretty stormy here, and we had some snow again last weekend, which makes it the second time this winter - quite unusual. My husband says he had noticed that there's always more year during the Shmita (the Sabbatical year), which is G-d's way of telling us, "trust Me - I will take care of your crops and trees."

Whenever I have the time, I enjoy logging into Mother Earth News. Some of the great articles I've read lately:

Choosing Voluntary Poverty - though I must say, I wouldn't have chosen the word poverty. The proper term, as far as I'm concerned, is "simple living". I do have to say, however, that I can't imagine living entirely without electricity. I know some do, and voluntarily (the Amish, for example), but I can't imagine my life without a refrigerator and washing machine.

The Power of Barter - nothing builds up a community like swapping the goods you've made, or grown, or raised yourself.
Moving to an Island in Southeast Alaska - no place in Israel is that remote, but some can sure feel so. Either way I always love reading about families who've left everything behind and started their life from scratch in someplace new.

Read if you have a few minutes, and I'm sure you'll be inspired!  

5 comments:

maria smith said...

I agree with you about the bartering. Even swapping services, cooking for someone or providing a cleaning service,handyman projects, pet walking, childcare and all of that. There are lots of ways that communities can come together bring value to the community.

Leah Brand-Burks said...

Glad to hear from you, Anna! Have a nice weekend!

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, Glad to hear you're doing well!
Yes, we must firstly be available to our husbands and children!
We also have had so much snow, it is a blessing!
We also enjoy being frugal or simple, but so thankful to have running water and power at our fingertips!
Roxy

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're ok. With everything going on in your side of the world I had hoped I wouldnt have to fear the worst. God bless!

Nick's Bride said...

Hi Anna,

I hope you are doing well with your new family of 5! =) I just watched Prime Minister Netanyahu's speech to congress, and I just wanted to let you know that there are many, many people in the United States who support Israel and want to stand with Israel.

I've never met you, but after following your blog since before you (or I) were married, I feel like I know you. =) I think about you and your family whenever I am read about Israel or see it in the news. My husband and I are keeping your family and the other families of Israel in our prayers.

May God continue to shelter you and your people, and show Himself mighty to those nations who seek to do Israel harm.

~Jessi