Sunday, March 29, 2015

Not a job; so much more

Less than a week before Pesach, few things can lure me away from cleaning; this article was one of  them. 

Do check it out if you have a few minutes. The author makes some interesting points. There is this, however:

"Being a stay-at-home mother to your own kids is not a “job,” no matter how difficult it is or how hard we work. Period. Getting to do nothing but raise a person you opted to bring into the world is a privilege, and calling it anything else is ignorant and condescending."

I agree; being a stay-at-home mother is not a job. It's so much more; I could write a vast number of paragraphs explaining why, but because time is short, here it is in a nutshell: 

Anyone (who has the proper skills and training, of course) can hold a job. But there is only one person in the whole world who can be a mother to my children, and that is me. G-d had given me these children to raise; not to someone perfect, not to the most competent mother in the world, not to the most accomplished, sweet-tempered, patient mother. He gave them to me. 

Therefore, raising my children is not a job, not a career, but the main and most important project of my lifetime. 

9 comments:

Nick's Bride said...

I love this!!

lavender garden said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

Beautifully said, I couldn't agree more. Pam

Sita said...

A blessing and a privilege! An honour too...as a mother we are constantly pressed to expand ourselves, to be more patient, loving, stable...it goes on. How precious to be gifted children, and to raise them with our love! From Sita (Australia)

Melissa M. said...

Beautifully written, Anna!

CouponGal (Andi) said...

how great it is that you consider being mothering important! :D

Lanita said...

That is SO very true!! I wish more mother's new that. Your children are blessed to have such a wise mother.

maria smith said...

Beautiful! We GET to do this job. It's so much more than a cleaning service, and all the other tasks we do. It's the joy of raising beautiful little people!

Anonymous said...

You are right, Anna...it is not a job, in the conventional meaning of the word. People do give lip-service to mothers, and motherhood, but in reality there is very little regard shown by the most powerful in our society toward women who bring up their own children.

I think sometimes that they see us as an inconvenience; there are those, too, who can't understand why anyone would do such difficult work for no pay.

I was proud that my labor belonged to my husband & children, and that it couldn't be taxed by the government.

It is our privilege to raise those God sees fit go give us. I thank Him each day for allowing me to have made such a difference in this way.

Brenda