Sunday, March 8, 2015

The great trap

I've been following Kelly Crawford's writings for several years; despite our obvious differences (I'm Jewish; Kelly is Christian), I often find poignant truths in her writings. This article is one such example. Titled "Why Your Children Annoy You and Homemaking is Boring", it brings some unpleasant truths to the table of discussion.

"See, the Internet is very exciting. There are fun Pinterest ideas that at least make me feel crafty. There are articles galore and blogs that help me grow. There are fabulous pictures, funny videos and of course, a whole community on Facebook where we not only get to keep up with everything that’s going on, but we get to project our goings-on onto other people, and for the first time, for some, feel validated, important.
The Internet is addictingly f.u.n.
And this excitement does something terrible –it makes our children, our husbands and our daily work boring, tedious and frustrating.  This excitement is why your children annoy you and homemaking is boring."

In the past, I've miserably failed in this area and had to work very, very hard to pull myself together so as not to stray from what ought to be my number one priority. The Internet is just one venue of distraction, though; the same effect can also be caused by hobbies, personal projects, community activities or relationships that take up too much time and energy which are so precious, and needed so much by our husbands and children. 

[As always, it's a question of how much time we spend on something, and at what cost. Too much of a good thing, you know...]

I remember once, I was reading an article on how to teach and entertain preschoolers, when my dear real-life children came to demand my attention. I mumbled something like, "wait, Mom is reading something important. Come back in a few minutes." Then almost immediately I realized just how ridiculous this sounds. Surely being with my children in real life is more important than reading about being with children. I put the article away and dove head-first into whatever it was that needed my intervention. 

Speaking of, real life calls and I must cut this short again. I look forward to checking again soon, as time allows. 

8 comments:

Laura Spilde said...

Yes, I try to remember that I am a child too and still need to learn new things. I am making a sundial and include the children in the excitement. Learning the direction of 'north' and then finding the direction of 'north' written in the scriptures and talking about it. Ask questions. These things seem to take away the bore and incorporate nature and truth as well as removing the void of boredom. Of course I view internet off and on in non child things to cure boredom and create new ideas.

maria smith said...

Oh my, don't I need these reminders! Remembering to be present with my kids. Sometimes we moms can feel like a perpetual cleaning service, or a taxi service, and forget how wonderful it is to be raising our kids!

Kristi said...

Hi, I'm new to writing, but I've been reading your blog for about a year now. I'm also like Kelly Crawford, a Christian. But I'm very curious what you think of Jesus...who do you say he is?
All respect to you, I've just wanted to actually ask you about this, it's heavy on my heart. :)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Kristi, I suggest you Google "What Jews think about Jesus". I assure you there is nothing revolutionary about my personal religious views.

laura said...

I also don't think there would have been anything wrong with having finished your article and then playing with your girls. Practicing patience can be good too.

Kristi said...

Thank you for re-directing me. Please forgive me for not doing a google search first. My comment/question was actually not asked for the simple answer, it really was rooted in something much deeper.

I am a homeschooling mom of 6 blessings. My son is the oldest (10 years old) and I have 5 daughters after him.

I was not raised in a Christian home, nor a religious one at that. I came to faith in Jesus Christ when I was 13 years old, though from a young age I was searching for meaning and purpose. My heart would cry out to God (if there was one), for help and direction. I would look up at the stars and have my heart long to understand the meaning of it all, (Psalm 19) and if there was any meaning to my life. I wanted answers...truth, not a lie, not anything that would be comfortable, or sound nice, no, I wanted truth with a capital "T".

Then a friend got me involved at her youth group at her church. I would sit there listening to the message and watch with wonder at the students worshiping God, with such love and joy. It was during a church camp that summer that I crawled up into my bunk one night and asked God to come into my life and save me. Isaiah 9:6-7, as I sought Him, he truly became my wonderful counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and at the same time, in Jesus he became my Prince of Peace.

It was through the teachings of God humbling himself, "clothing himself in humanity" to be the "sacrificial lamb" that would take away the sin of the world for all who would put their trust in Him, for whoever would reach out to Him and ask his forgiveness for sin. He came as the offering in the way that Abraham was willing to offer his own son to die. God sent his "son" to die in my place, so that I would no longer be clothed in my sin. He tore the veil that separated me from Him by becoming the sacrificial lamb, making it possible for me to have a relationship with my Creator.

I share all of this with you because when I stumbled onto your blog, I was so captivated by the beauty of Israel through your photos. I was so inspired by your life. I saw right away how deeply religious you are and how you are so committed to your family and faith. But I couldn't find anywhere, the deep saving, intimate relationship with Him that I have. Not by my own religiousness, nor by my own ability to do things "by the book" so to speak, just simply having a love relationship with my father.

Jesus rules as King in my life. He has saved my soul. That is beyond any earthly kingdom or worldly establishment that could ever take place. He wants to rule eternally. And that was what I saw as the stark contrast between our faiths.

I really just wanted to know what your personal thoughts were. I did google and learned a lot from what I read. I just can't wrap my mind around such legalism when I have found such freedom. I do not worship an idol. He was fathered (raised by) Joseph who is in the direct line of David.

A Christian simply believes that the savior was humble, and saves our souls, which he is more concerned with than physically helping us. Weather you respond or not, I really just wanted to share the love I found in Christ with you. Please forgive me if this offends you. The information that I read about why Jesus was just another man and didn't fulfill the prophecies, simply isn't true. I would encourage you to read the Bible. The New Testament fits so well with the "Old Testament" when realizing that the Messiah came as a humble servant (the perfect example of how we should live our lives), rather than some physical king. The Gospel message has been preached into all the world and is saving and changing lives for God in radical ways. My religion isn't a new idea either. It's a fulfillment of what God promised long ago.

Isaiah 53 (Jesus)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your election! I may be assuming you are happy , I know I am ! Karen from Michigan

Mrs. Anna T said...

Somehow I knew this would come to Isaiah 53 in the end. I had written an essay about it years ago, explaining the Jewish meaning and the Greek mistranslations of this chapter. This is not, of course, for the blog. You are welcome to contact me privately by email.