Sunday, April 19, 2015

Best way to store parsley

Image result for parsley

We love fresh parsley in soups, stews, meatballs and various other dishes; however, I use it sparingly, perhaps once in a few days. As a result, whenever there’s a fresh bunch of parsley, about half of it gets used at once, and the other half slowly wilts, until it looks very sorry indeed and finally goes out to the chickens.

Last week at the grocery store, we came across parsley which was bright green and fresh and lovely, and evidently had just been picked. However, it was sold in huge bunches, and I knew a lot would go to waste. Determined not to let it happen this time, I picked up the parsley with the intention of processing it in the course of the next two days.

Today, I picked through the whole bunch and discarded some yellowish sprigs. The rest was carefully washed and shredded in a nifty little hand-held vegetable processor my husband bought not long ago. I divided it into portions and froze it in smallish sandwich bags.

Now I have an on-hand supply of fresh, pre-washed, finely chopped parsley to be simply taken out of the freezer and tossed into whatever is on the stove. Very time-saving in busy moments!


For a more elegant solution, the chopped parsley could be pressed into an ice cube tray, stored in ziplock bags or molded into small boxes. Of course, the same can apply to other fresh herbs, such as basil, thyme, mint, etc. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very clever. I'll try this, as the idea of having pre-chopped parsley on hand is very appealing :)

What I've been doing, which is simpler but not quite so convenient, is simply to chop the ends off the whole bunch as soon as I get it home (without removing the elastic band) and then place the whole bunch in a jar with a little water in the bottom (like cut flowers). I place the bag which the parsley came in over the top, and put the jar in the fridge door. This way, it lasts easily ten days, though you have to chop it before you can use it ;)