Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Perfect onion quiche

I have tried making onion quiche several times, and every time, the results just weren't enough to justify the effort. Either the onions were not sufficiently done, or the whole thing would fall apart, or the taste was simply off. Finally, not long ago I finally stumbled upon the perfect way to make simple, crustless onion quiche.

The problem is that this isn't really a recipe. Around here, quiches, like soups, are a take-what-you've-got-and-throw-it-together kind of dish.

Here's the secret: if you don't wish to cook the onions before baking (and I don't, because it's a hassle), they need to be very finely chopped. I now use my nifty little hand-chopper: I peel the onions and cut them into quarters, throw them in, and keep turning the handle until I got my desired tiny pieces of onion.

So, you'll need:

3 middle-to-large onions or 2 very large ones;
3-4 eggs;
a little butter - about 25 gr or a bit more (an ounce);
1\4 cup of cooking oil;
1\2 cup or more of shredded cheese;
about 1 1\2 cups flour + a pinch of baking powder/soda
salt and pepper to taste

* You can omit the oil entirely and add more butter. I just never have enough butter on hand, so I had to be stingy.

Take a large bowl and tip the chopped onions into it; add the eggs, oil and cheese; finely slice the butter and add it as well. Lastly, add the salt and flour and season to taste.

Transfer mixture into baking pan and bake at medium heat until the top is a nice golden-brown color. Take out of the oven, let it cool a little and enjoy. You can serve it hot, at room temperature or even eat it straight out of the fridge (if you have leftovers the next day, which you probably won't).

quiches lorraines - stock photo
Unfortunately, I have no picture on hand, so I'm using this image from Shutterstock.

5 comments:

Lady Anne said...

That sounds good - I like the way you cook! We call that "Whatchagot Stew". I never thought of adding flour or baking soda to the actual quiche. We have a friend who has celiac disease, so I butter the pan and press crushed Rice Chex cereal against the edges. This avoids having to worry about a soggy crust, as well as an allergic reaction.

Do you have Rice Chex in Israel? Is it kosher for Passover?

Brigitte said...

This recipe looks great and I would like to make it....but you didn't say what you do with the 1 1/2 cups of flour and baking powder/soda....can you please explain? Thank you!

K~ said...

Where does the flour come in? I see it in the ingredients but not the directions!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Sorry, everyone - I edited the post accordingly. You add the flour last.

Linda said...

This sounds delicious, and looks wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. :)