Thursday, October 8, 2015

Increasing danger

As some of you are perhaps aware, recently Israel has become a much scarier place than two weeks ago. The shooting and stabbing by terrorists goes on in many parts of the country, and the evil has reached unbelievable peaks.

I'm a little at a loss of what to say. On the one hand, I can think of nothing else but the lives that had been destroyed or ruined forever. The parents that were murdered in front of their children; the woman who ran away from the terrorists, knife in her shoulder, and begged for help but was cruelly told to just shut up and die; the schools shutting down; people trying to minimize going out of the house.

Since we don't hate them, it can be hard to finally realize how much they truly hate us.

I think an important point is that the violence no longer has borders (if, indeed, it ever had borders). People often talk to us about how dangerous it is to live outside the '67 borders, like we do; as if the Magic Line of '67 somehow turns peace into war and friends into enemies, and if only we withdrew to the borders of '48, we would be safe, nobody would be after our blood, and peace would be restored to the Middle East.

What a joke. We did that experiment in Gaza in 2005. The peaceful civilians of Gaza exercised their democratic rights by electing Hamas for their government.

Those who want to kill Jews in the Shomron or Gush Etziyon, want to kill Jews in Jerusalem, Petach Tikva, and Tel Aviv. They are actively trying to do so, every day. They consider all of Israel as rightfully theirs. And once we cower and run, there is no way to stop and no place to hide.

We are an ordinary family. We live in a very small, quiet way. Those who have been reading my blog for any length of time know my life, interests and pursuits revolve around anything home- and child-related. But you can't go on quietly cooking and looking after your chickens and choosing seeds for your garden when you feel you aren't safe, wherever you go; when you worry about your husband every time he drives home from work; when you happen to be in town and think twice about going to the mall (and not because of the exorbitant prices of everything).

We will not succumb to panic. But we want to feel safe, and that feeling is, lately, very elusive.

16 comments:

Laura Santos said...

You are loved! We love you and Israel and we are praying for your safety. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Elisheva said...

Thanks for posting this. I live here too and more people outside of Israel need to know what's going on. I'm with you, sister.

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

I am so sorry. You are in my prayers. Pam

Tammy said...

Praying hard for your family and your country. Peace, safety and God's blessings on you all.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mrs Anna! My heart aches for you and the people of your country. I can only imagine the battle you have with fear constantly, and how it must permeate every area of your life. I am appalled and saddened by the way so many in the world treat your people, even though I know the conflict has been going on since Biblical times. I pray earnestly for your precious family's peace and comfort, along with all those in Israel facing the same enemies that you are. God's blessing on you.

Lanita said...

Anna,

I am praying for you and your family and have shared your post on facebook.

Anonymous said...



The only safety there is anywhere is in God
love janet

Sita said...

Praying for peace to come to Israel, and for the safety of your family dearest Anna, and all our brothers and sisters

With love, Sita

Mrs. Anna T said...

Thank you all for your kind encouragement and support.

CLScott said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. Here in the US, we were not aware so much was changing so quickly. We pray for peace on Israel and for the nations to realize how important this situation is.

Anonymous said...

We are scheduled to come for a visit near and up to part of Chanukah...kind of a worry with all this going on...also bringing our daughter and her friend...plans to stay in Jerusalem with trips away here and there...I am wondering if it will come to be or not...prayers for everyone's safety there...and for the problems increasing in America too.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Prayed for you and your family today. Please keep posting. We need to hear....

Becky Fife said...

I can't get your email address to work so here is my email below!! my address is: fertilityplus@hotmail.com

Good evening
I’m am here in Canada and had found your blog years ago, when I was first figuring out headcovering. I rediscovered you since baby 4 was born (he’s fast asleep in my arms and 9 months old!).
I have seen your recent post about the increasing danger and have a question, some scripture, and some encouragement.
First, I feel that I need to cover my hair again. I’m a Christian, not a Jew, and most here don’t cover anyway. What do you do about hats? I need a toque in winter and a sun hat in summer. IS there a style of scarf you find that hats fit over? Or do you have to cover and recover each time you transition in and out of the house? Or is the climate moderate enough to not need that?
Second, this morning at our service, the Scripture read was 1 Chronicles 16:8-36. And I actually thought of you. It is a beautiful passage.
Lastly, I will share your blog post, and the reality of life in Isreal, with some of my other mom (homeschooling, breastfeeding, etc.) friends. Simply having your blog makes it so much more real. And to know that part of why I feel the need to cover is the remind myself of the position and situation of women around the world, and to remember to pray more.
Time for bed here.
Much peace,
Becky

Mrs. Anna T said...

Dear Becky, thank you for your comment. Hats can be indeed a problem. I'd like a wide-brimmed hat in summer and it won't fit over my scarf and bun. in winter around here, we can mostly go without a hat, and a scarf is enough, or perhaps a scarf and earmuffs.

Kim said...

Dear Anna,
I have been following your blog since just before my daughter was born. She is now for. I grew up in a house hold that regularly discussed the Israeli v Palestine situation, but from the opposite view ( my stepfather was Iranian and most of our circle or friends was against Israel). Thank you for giving me a different perspective and helping me to remember there are people not just politics involved. Praying for your safety.
much love
Kim W

Tiqa said...

I've also followed your blog since almost the beginning, before you got married, even. I'm still hoping one day you'll finish that novel you started out sharing way back when. ;) prayers for peace for all the world. It's getting more violent here, stateside too, and I hesitate in going to public spaces at times to, but nowhere to the extent you guys are facing. Stay safe. 💚