Monday, November 9, 2015

"Sorry, I'm calling in sick"

This week, we've been sick - not sick enough to call my husband off work (which of course I could have done in the case of a real emergency), but sick enough to feel thoroughly unwell and very much in need of rest. 

The worst part, perhaps, was that the virus had hit us all at once - which meant that I had sick children who needed plenty of attention, while I was unwell myself. So, what are some things you do to get through the day?

Lower your expectations. Obviously, when you have young children, your first and foremost responsibility is to care for them. If you can't do it yourself, you must ask for help. If, upon honest assessment, you decide you can manage, focus on keeping your children safe, fed, hydrated, warm and quietly amused. Everything else can wait. Even if your house is a mess, never mind - you can tackle anything that isn't urgent when you're feeling better. You don't want to exhaust yourself by doing more than you reasonably can.

Take care of yourself. Make plenty of hot tea for everyone, providing the easiest snacks you can get. It's a good thing if you always have something on hand so that a quick meal can be thrown together without much effort (such as a batch of frozen pasta sauce, or frozen chicken so all you need to do is cook pasta or rice). 

Lie down on the couch while your children play next to you. I was able to distribute colorful pens and go take a refreshing nap next to the baby. I believe it really helped me to carry on until bedtime.

Say no to extra commitments. In our neighborhood, we have a second-hand co-op shop, and as the lady who runs it is swamped with work, I repeatedly offered her some help. Well, it just so happened that she asked me for help on the very day we were all sick, and it was a bit embarrassing to say no, but of course I did so anyway. Oh, and we took a couple of days off regular school, and instead chose quiet diversions such as drawing and board games. 

If you're having a cold, most likely it is nothing serious, though it's pretty nasty while it's going on. All you have to do is get through it with some gentle care, and it's almost certain the next day will be better. 

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Great advice Anna, I definitely agree that it's much better to take some time out and get better sooner than to try and do everything as normal and take longer to recover :-)