Sunday, January 24, 2016

A quiet, simple life

My friend Leah shared this fabulous article with me. Judging from the number of comments, it's insanely popular, and for good reason. If you haven't read it yet, do, and I know you'll be blessed, as I have been.

Just like this lady, I have often anxiously asked myself: is this enough? Am I enough? And if you are asking yourself this question, know that the answer should be yes. Of course, we should all try and improve, especially as it concerns our relationship with G-d and with our loved ones. But on a very primary, basic, fundamental level it is important to remember that we were made by an Almighty G-d who made us, knows us, and loves us - just as we are, not as we can (maybe) be at some point in the future.


"What if I am not cut out for the frantic pace of this society and cannot even begin to keep up. And see so many others with what appears to be boundless energy and stamina but know that I need tons of solitude and calm, an abundance of rest, and swaths of unscheduled time in order to be healthy. Body, Spirit, Soul healthy. Am I enough?"

"What if I embrace my limitations and stop railing against them. Make peace with who I am and what I need and honor your right to do the same. Accept that all I really want is a small, slow, simple life. A mediocre life. A beautiful, quiet, gentle life. I think it is enough."

4 comments:

LeighSabey said...

I don't remember whether I've commented on your blog before...if not, I am sorry, as I've been following for a couple months now and I love your perspective! Thank you for sharing this link today. I also struggle with a feeling that I should be doing more, acquiring more education, creating a successful business, just...MORE of something. Yet, if I allow myself to just do what makes me happy, without comparing my life to others', I am perfectly fine. My husband is pursuing a PhD (advanced degree) now, in addition to keeping a challenging career, and my role at this season is to maintain a comfortable, nourishing home for him and our children, and to build a supportive community around us. And that is plenty.

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

I have struggled with health issues for years and have battled the same feelings. I feel God is trying to teach me that I am enough, just where I am and who I am in my simple quiet life for my family. Thanks for sharing, Blessings, Pam

Tammy said...

I think it is enough, too. :)

Krista ODD said...

Hello. Thank you for sharing my post:)